Thursday, August 09, 2007

Fantastic WW2 Propaganda Posters

Fans of this blog know me as someone who's a big believer in the power of the word and its ability to move and motivate. But I have to admit that back in the day, before we all fell prey to carefully manufactured, heavily focus-grouped mass messaging, art on posters (especially propaganda posters) had the power to evoke strong emotions and exploit the passions and prejudices of the common man to a scarcely imaginable degree.

A superb example of this is the wildly effective Lusitania Enlistment ad, which encouraged men to enlist in the army and avenge the sinking of the RMS Lusitania, during WW1, and was a big factor in the US decision to enter the war.

I'm just a huge lover (or so the ladies tell me) of this style of art and I'm starting to learn more about it. I mean, mass manipulation and ethnic sterotyping aside aside, the quality of drawings and inkwork simply transcends all the machinations of its questionable message. Here are a few examples of just such propaganda posters from the Second World War, courtesy of BoingBoing.













2 Comments:

Blogger Forsoothsayer said...

i'm a fan of propaganda posters as well...especially how simplistic they are. there's a rosit poster somewhere in my apartment i haven't got around to hanging up.

most unusual, the one with the naked women on japanese guy's back.

3:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I accidentally found your blog when I was googling Denver Airport Murals. A good friend has recently decided that she has special knowledge about some secret stuff about to happen. The only place to be apparently is somewhere near DIA.
Anyways you have an interesting blog. Thanks for creating it.

2:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home