Sunday, February 18, 2007

Rejected


A while back, Sara Laudonia introduced me to Bitter Films' Rejected, a series of shorts by a brilliant animator named Don Hertzfeldt. Here's the scoop from his site:

"In the spring of 1999, the Family Learning Channel commissioned animator Don Hertzfeldt to produce promotional segments for their network. The cartoons were completed in five weeks. The Family Learning Channel rejected all of them upon review,
and they were never aired..."

These shorts are nothing short of brilliant: subversive, dark yet oddly uplifting. They're brilliantly simple yet never simplistic and my cheeks flushed with laughter, when I saw them. You know, the kind of laughter that cleans your insides.

It's one of the few things I treasure about my time with that girl, seeing that movie. I guess when someone shows you a movie called 'rejected', it's a fair chance she was trying to tell you something. Anyways, she was more closed up than an oyster with a clam fixation so it's probably for the best it didn't progress.

I strongly recommend you check this flick out (I believe it can be purchased from Bitter Films, directly) or you can watch it here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home