Sunday, January 08, 2006

The Chomsky Paradox


So I just finished reading Noam Chomsky's "Hegemony or Survival" which convinced me that there are no altruistic motives in global politics. It also depressed me immensely because, having acquired this knowledge of the imperial intentions of all super-powers (the reigning super power happens to be the US), I proceeded to ask myself "Ok, how can I make a difference?" and of course, the answer to that is "You can't". So that's one reason I got depressed.

The second reason is that one of Chomsky's main assertions is that the way to manipulate a so-called democratic society is by a controlled propogandist media. And yet the very conditions which allow propoganda to be effective (that most people are unwilling or unable or ill-equipped to grasp the nuances of any issue) also stand in the way of people understanding Chomsky's piercing, yet complicated logic. If it's not black and white, people turn off...and yet his explanation is the epitomy of grey. Which is PROFOUNDLY depressing since he is basically talking to himself.

Maybe that's the fate of all brilliant men..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home