Monday, June 12, 2006

Avoiding World Cup Spoilers


I'm living in mortal terror of running into someone who's going to tell me the scores of the World Cup games that played today. I've put a sign outside my cube warning potential spoiler-bearers to stay away and I'm avoiding the Internet like it was the plague. That includes soccernet.com, cnn.com and when I check my mail, I avoid reading those breaking news banners, littered all over the place.

All this for what?

Well, I've TIVO/ DVRd the games so when I get home, I can settle down with a gigantic sandwich and approximately 8 beers and watch the action unfold, as if it were live. Three games, which translates into 270 minutes of top-class soccer. The problem is if the score is given away, my viewing excitement becomes irretrievably compromised. I mean, what's the point of watching a game when you know there's going to be no goals?

And this is pretty much going to be my fate for the next 30 days (at least, the weekday portions; the weekend, I don't actually have to do anything else). Time difference sucks. Even more so in a backward-ass country like this one that doesn't have the decency to suspend all commercial activity while a momentous occasion like the World Cup is taking place.

God, I hate living here. Did you hear what I've been saying? They don't like football!

1 Comments:

Blogger Carmen said...

I've been good...I've been bringing a TV into my class to let my students watch the game every once in a while. They have to write an essay afterwards, but for the first time they do it without complaining!

5:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home