Friday, June 09, 2006

Deflated


So I've been documenting my exponentially increasing rage a number of times, on this blog. It's been a sort of unbridled, undisciplined anger that never really makes it to the surface. Reading back, I don't think I quite underlined the word rage. Some people have construed it as 'frustration' or 'depression' or even just 'resignation' or 'malaise' or 'ennui'. I meant rage in the full sense of the word.

Anger. Wrath. Violent inner turmoil, simmering beneath an ever-thinning surface.

While before it would take a lot to make me angry, the triggers that set me off have become increasingly sensitive. I'm set off by the most innocuous of things. Memories, people in love walking hand-in-hand in the street, well dressed young people..

It's clear what's going on here. I've descended into bitterness and regret at the way my life is playing out. I know I'm not doing too badly (at least, when I force rationality to counter my impulses), but it's all based on settling and accepting compromises and coming to terms with my limitations and weaknesses. I think it's called maturity and it really does suck.

One of my biggest regrets is that I never started on my college basketball team. Seems pretty trivial, right? It would be, if it wasn't such a metaphor or a blueprint for my life. I think, given the choice, we'd all like to be the star, the best looking person in town, the richest or the most dashing. When it doesn't turn out that way, we redefine our standards and skill-sets to accomodate what we hopefully refer to as reality. And it's bitter, because you see others who have what you, as a child, expected life to serve up for you.

I get really angry and hurt when I see families; men with girlfriends and kids and, seemingly, lives. I wonder what my own damage is, that I can't have what they have. They make it seem very easy and it probably is, for them. I'm sure I'm good at things they're not good at, as well. But the fundamentals, I've always had a problem with.

In a way, I always needed training wheels, for life. And while people with the things I don't have make me angry, I'm really just angry at myself. I wouldn't change my world or my life. But I sure as hell would change my head, if I could.

7 Comments:

Blogger Forsoothsayer said...

are we talking about the AUC BASKETBALL TEAM? dude, please, spare yourself.

also, there are hundreds, nay thousands, of women out there gagging to make a family with u. i'm sure of it. even WITH your massive issues. and not cos they're desperate either.

8:34 PM  
Blogger Carmen said...

Yup...she's right. I can even start naming them.

2:42 AM  
Blogger Basil Epicurus said...

WTF?!?? I can't even air my issues or revel in self-pity ON MY OWN BLOG, without you people taking the sting out of my carefully constructed wall of misery?

Can't a man just wallow in peace? Let's just call a spade a spade: women hate it when men criticize themselves because women think that's their JOB.

I can see forsooth's nostrils flaring and S starting her rebuttal with 'aa..aa..aa' so RELAX. I'm kidding.

PS The confirmation word for this post is 'RNICE'. Which you are.

12:41 PM  
Blogger Basil Epicurus said...

Besides, I'm not doubting my own ability to attract someone and build a family with them. I'm commenting on my difficulties with intimacy. I'm not good at it, which discourages me from trying.

12:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

and it is too bad you get discouraged..

11:21 PM  
Blogger Forsoothsayer said...

tayeb why don't u lick us ba2a?

we assume u post about such things because you want ppl to respond in some way (otherwise u wouldn't post them on the fucking internet) and our response just happens to be encouraging.

6:44 PM  
Blogger Basil Epicurus said...

Uhhh...kiss my ass, if you don't like my whining. You post your comments because you like to hear the sound of your own voice...or typing. There's as much as that to it as being "encouraging". Got it, sunshine?

2:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home