Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Are blogs the new secret lovers? [UPDATED]


How many of you hide their blogs from their significant others? It's a secret thrill, isn't it? One small pocket of French resistance (if you'll excuse the oxymoron) amidst a vast sea of Nazi occupation. Or something like that.

I'm even thinking of taking on a second blog...

I'm cracking up..and not in a good way. I hope you'll visit me in the institution.

Actually, I reveal the existence of my blog to anyone who asks, which is a tad unwise. The problem lies when people assume you're talking about them or when you reveal a detail about yourself that impacts them. My thing is, I have an almost unhealthy compulsion to be honest, even when it's detrimental to my interests. Sounds noble, doesn't it? Not really, part of it is masochism and the other part is low self-esteem: I feel that people need to rail against me in order to justify my self-imposed isolation.

If you think this is warped, then you should consider what all the other bloggers are NOT telling you about themselves. I'm convinced I'm no more or no less warped than anyone else.

10 Comments:

Blogger Carmen said...

I hid my blog for a long time from Frodo but I talked so much about what people would write that he started whining about wanting access to it. So I gave him the address a month ago, but he's never even checked it out. Still, I hate that I gave it to him.

11:16 AM  
Blogger Basil Epicurus said...

That's the equivalent of reaching an 'understanding' with your S.O. and introducing him to your "luvah". If he leaves comments, then he wants a 3some.

11:56 AM  
Blogger jokerman said...

I dont talk too much about myself or my feelings. Mainly because its of no ones interest & i dont think people are interested or want to read about my ramblings.
Anyway, it also leads to problems as you said, people start to think you are talking about them indirectly & some try to analyze your personality so the more you reveal the more they will know, you can lie to confuse them, but its a hassle...so its better to remain anonymous & not so open.
p.s: ooops, did i say too much!?!!?

2:00 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

Must admit, I haven't told anyone, including my husband. The other day, an American friend of mine from Egypt said something that made me think she had been reading Forsoothsayer's blog, so perhaps my cover is blown!

2:01 PM  
Blogger Basil Epicurus said...

Hmmm, JM: all I do is talk about my feelings. I don't really care if anyone else is interested or not, but I do sometimes (ok, often) bore myself.

Cairogal: it is kind of a private thing, isn't it? It's like thinking...except with pictures and words...and a world wide web address...oh, forget it!

2:16 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

True. I never started it thinking I'd put anything too personal on it. I just wanted to comment on other blogs. If my photo and other links hadn't been included in my blog, I'd probably reveal more.

4:56 PM  
Blogger Basil Epicurus said...

It's a cathartic thing for me, revealing shit. I'm like a literary flasher:)

5:14 PM  
Blogger laura said...

I don't reveal much on my blog... my parents and everyone read it. I only started it so that I wouldn't have to send out so many mass emails (I was having to send out the same email several times, as I could only send to a maximum of 50 addresses at a time)... and those that actually want to know what I'm up to can look it up.
I sometimes think about starting another blog, a secret blog where I can pour out my inner turmoil, etc.
Thanx for the comment, by the way. ;)

11:22 AM  
Blogger Basil Epicurus said...

Not at all, it's perfectly true:)

Try Livejournal which is a blog specifically for that purpose. You can control access, it's not available if you search the web and so forth. It's kind of liberating talking to perfect strangers, knowing there won't be any baggage or consequences and so forth. Fortunately, my parents are as familar with the "Internets" as George W is, so I'm good there. I have had problems when people I know have stumbled across it and imagine that some of the things I say are about them.

11:54 AM  
Blogger laura said...

I'll have to look into that. My dad is a bit of a Net nut, as are many of my friends.

1:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home