Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Readers pan classic '1984' on Amazon


Charlie Stross rounds up the best of the worst of Amazon reviews -- readers decrying Marquez for his lack of understanding of supply-side economics, Romeo and Juliet for being "soooo cliched," Robinson Crusoe as being derivative and hackneyed, and The Grapes of Wrath for having too much profanity. Here's one panning my all-time favorite book by my all-time favorite author.

Caitlyn from Atlanta, GA, wrote: "1984 is the worst book I have ever read. I would advise anyone who is thinking about reading this book to reconcider! George Orwell is not a bad writer, however, this book he does not do evry well on, as some of his others. Prehaps he was getting old and lost his touch. Animal Farm was okay, but 1984 was horrible. It took him forever, it seemed like, to get into the accual book. If someone were to take out all of the useless part of 1984, it would be half as long. Why would he wirte so much about nothing? I havent ever meet someone who could wirte such a boring book about the goverment. I have meet many people who have loved this book, but i dispised it. I am not at all intrested in the goverment. This may be part of the reason that I didnt like it. I would advise you not to read this book."

From the always hilarious Defective Yeti.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jester said...

I think Defective Yeti just left a comment on one of my posts!

...And stop giving Forsooth info about me you little wanker!

8:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1984 is a book that should provoke thought. Perhaps you aren't interested in "goverment" (sic), but 1984 is a social commentary on what happens when totalitarian governments usurp individual rights. Maybe you should stick to comic books.

10:16 AM  
Blogger Basil Epicurus said...

Anon: And clearly you're a moron who didn't bother to read the post. This isn't my view, it's a selection of Amazon reviewer comments. I included it on my blog because I thought it was funny they didn't like one of my all time favorite books.

Maybe you should stick to comic book, too. The pictures may help you understand context, a little better.

11:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home